6 Secrets to an Effective Relationship with a Consultant
- Work with the consultant, not against him/her. Working with a consultant is a partnership, with clear expectations spelled out on both sides.
- Be accountable and hold the consultant accountable to one person in your organization.
- Be accessible and expect the same from the consultant.
- Don’t keep secrets from the consultant. Communicate honestly with him/her, especially when there are major decisions or organizational changes involved.
- If things aren’t going as you’d like, give feedback. Talk to the consultant – don’t sit back and hope things get better.
- The consultant is working for you. Don’t wait until the project has gone on for months in what you consider the wrong direction without making your thoughts known to the consultant.
The Gender Gap in Nonprofit Boardrooms report now available >>